Most of my projects are designed to solve household problems, like a window unit air conditioner that backs up onto our porch. What if we covered it with a fountain?
Mexican Blue Tile Fountain
The cast ceramic lion head was bought off Etsy. I drilled out the mouth myself so that a section of copper pipe would fit through.
Under Workbench Storage Chest
Brass bin pulls from The Brass Knob on 18th St. Oak bin pulls made by me in the shop
At the top you see I kept some of the original (1912) brass hardware. The finish is shellac.
Wireless Keyboard Stand
Inspired by SkyMall, the stand is cantilevered so you can get your legs under it and the height is adjustable.
Laptop Stand Height Adjuster
Pull out the dowel knob and move it up or down.
The mirror is a standard dorm room job from Target, cut to size by yours truly. The slide out surface was made using wood from the top right of the hutch that was removed to fit the concrete post that cuts into the back of the hutch from the right.
To save the hutch we had to strip all the paint off first, the kind of thing that usually means you stain a piece. It's a lot of work to strip all that paint... but kitchen cabinets should be white. Stain will go in the dinning and living rooms.
Stained Hutch Counter
I am pretty sure the wood is Douglas Fir. It was definitely pine smelling and Douglas Fir would have been consistent with the building in 1912. I used a green dye stain to balance out the seriously orange tint of the wood. Then added more brown. The top coat is polyurethane.
The family name of the new born is painted on the treasure chest toy box.
Treasure Chest (another view)
Compase Rose Latch
The compass rose is cut from a solid brass kick plate that I salvaged off an exterior door that was replaced at the building.
The first version of the Mexican Tile Fountain featured a concrete basin with a design inspired by the United Farm Workers. The concrete was extremely heavy, however, and it was ultimately replaced with wood.
This fits nicely on the side of the outfeed chest that I built. The chest gets used as an assembly table, so this is very handy. I wish I needed a bigger rack, but that's most of my clamps right there.
Outfeed Chest (from left)
The outfeed chest was a desk that I picked up free off Craigslist. It was pre-Ikea, so cheap, but not particle board. A solid piece of wood (planks glued together) had been used on both the outside and the inside side of the drawers on the desk, so that became the drawer faces that you see on the right. The divider between the two stacks of drawers is just scrap faced with the wood from the original desk. Most of the joinery is biscuits.
An improved wrist rest has been added.
Oak Bin Pulls (Unfinished)
I used some oak scrap because I didn't feel like paying out the nose for more brass. Modeled after a Danish design I found online.
Oak Bin Pulls
Modeled after a Danish design.
Oak Bin Pulls - Side View
Used the drill press sanding drum to do the part where your finger goes after taking out the bulk of the wood with a coping saw.
Oak Bin Pulls - Stained
Just Minwax Special Walnut, thinned a bit with "Natural".
Outfeed Chest (view from right)
The drawer handles on the left were original to the desk. On the right are from the collection left by the old super in my building. I left a gap between the top drawers and the top of the chest for clamping purposes. I should have left an overhang on both sides as well, but did not.